My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Puerto Rican Shredded Pork
Courtesy of National Pork Board
Prep Time: 25 Min.
Cook Time: 8 Hr. 30 Min.
Marinate: 20 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 2-3 lb. boneless sirloin pork roast, or sirloin tip roast, trimmed and tied with kitchen twine if necessary*
+ 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
+ 4-5 cloves garlic, skins removed, crushed
+ 1 Tbsp. cumin
+ 1/2 Tbsp. coarse salt
+ 1 tsp. oregano
+ 4 oranges, juiced or 1 c. freshly squeezed orange juice
+ 4 limes, juiced
+ Please note that if you're unfamiliar with tying a roast with kitchen twine, ask your butcher to pre-tie the roast in the store.
What to do:
1. Using a sharp knife, poke a few holes into the pork and stuff holes with half of the crushed garlic. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the pork and brown on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the meat to a slow cooker.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a blender and blend for a few seconds until evenly combined. Place the pork in the
slow cooker. Pour the liquid mixture over the pork, and let the pork marinate in the mixture for about 10 minutes on each side.
3. Turn the slow cooker on low, and set the timer for 8 hours.
4. After 8 hours, remove pork and shred using two forks on a large cutting board. Remove all the liquid from the slow cooker except for 1 cup of the cooking liquid and add pork back to pot. Let it cook another 15-30 minutes.
5. Serve the shredded pork over lettuce wraps or in corn tortillas, and top with pico de gallo, chopped cilantro and/or avocado.
* If you'd prefer serving it out of a wrap (whether it's butter lettuce or corn tortillas), serve it alongside a piece of grilled corn on the cob, or a corn salad. Alternatively, when the pork is done cooking, you can shred it with the 2 forks while it is still in the slow cooker, keeping all the liquid in as well, and serve it stew style with a topping of chopped onions or pico de gallo.
* Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more recipes visit:
Calories: 340; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 145mg; Total Carbs: 10g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 53g; Sodium: 720mg;