My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Courtesy of Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 1 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1/2 c. brown rice, long-grain, regular, dry
+ 3 Tbsp. brown and wild rice blend, dry
+ 6 Tbsp. barley, quick pearl, dry
+ 2 tsp. low-sodium chicken base
+ 2 Tbsp. quinoa, dry
+ 3 Tbsp. Bulgur wheat, dry
+ 1 c. fresh carrots, peeled, diced
+ 1 c. fresh red bell peppers, seeded, diced
+ 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
+ 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
+ 3 1/2 c. cooked diced chicken, 1/2-in. pieces (12 oz.)
+ 1 1/2 c. fresh baby spinach, chopped
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium pot, combine brown rice, wild rice blend, barley, and 1 tsp. chicken base with 1 1/4 cups water.
3. Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer until water runs clear, not cloudy. In a small pot, combine quinoa and bulgur wheat with 3/4 cup water and remaining 1 tsp. chicken base.
4. Bring both uncovered pots to a rolling boil. Stir occasionally. Turn heat down and simmer over low heat until water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes over low heat. Fluff with a fork.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine carrots and red peppers. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss lightly. Pour into a large nonstick baking pan. Roast at 350°F for 20 minutes or until tender.
6. Combine cooked grains, chicken, and spinach with roasted vegetables. Mix well. Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes to an internal temperature of 165°F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature). Serve hot.
For more recipes or information, please visit teamnutrition.usa.gov
Calories: 232; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 55mg; Total Carbs: 28g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 22g; Sodium: 159mg;