My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: n/a
Cook Time: 40 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 lb. fresh greens (collard, mustard or turnip greens; or kale) (500 g)
+ 2 Tbsp. canola oil (30 mL)
+ 2 slices turkey bacon, chopped
+ 1 c. finely diced onion (250 mL)
+ 1/4 tsp. salt (1 mL)
+ 2 garlic cloves, minced
+ 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (2 mL)
+ 1 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth (250 mL)
+ 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (15 mL)
+ 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar (15 mL)
What to do:
1. Wash greens and remove tough center ribs. Cut leaves into 1-inch strips. (Or purchase pre-washed, stemmed and trimmed fresh greens.)
2. Heat large sauce pot over medium-high heat; add oil and bacon and cook until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
3. Stir in onions and salt; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and pepper flakes, and cook 1 minute more.
4. Add broth, stirring to scrape up any browned bits on bottom of pan.
5. Add greens to pot. If necessary, add in batches, stirring each batch to wilt slightly before adding more. Cover and cook until tender, about 25 to 35 minutes.
6. Stir in vinegar and sugar, and then lower heat to medium. Cover and cook 5 minutes more. Taste and then balance flavors as desired with salt, pepper flakes, vinegar and sugar. Serve hot.
Tip: For a hint of decadence, stir in 2 tablespoons of low-fat cream cheese and pulse briefly in a food processor for creamed greens.
* Recipe courtesy of Kathleen Bruno and CanolaInfo.
Calories: 100; Total Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Total Carbs: 9g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 210mg;