My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Central Valley Harvest Bake
Courtesy of Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes
Prep Time: 45 Min.
Cook Time: 1 Hr. 30 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 3 c. fresh butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed 1/2-in.
+ 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
+ 1/3 c. fresh red onions, peeled, diced
+ 2 1/4 tsp. fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded, diced
+ 1/4 c. fresh red bell pepper, seeded, diced
+ 1 Tbsp. red quinoa, dry
+ 1/4 c. canned low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
+ 3 1/2 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped
+ 2 1/2 Tbsp. sweetened applesauce
+ 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
+ 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (optional)
+ 3/4 c. low-fat granola, no fruit
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, toss squash in 1 tsp. olive oil. Spread onto a large baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Roast in oven at 350°F for 30 minutes or until tender and lightly brown around the edges. Remove and keep warm.
3. In a small bowl, toss onions, jalapeno peppers, and red peppers with remaining olive oil. Spread vegetables evenly onto a baking sheet sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray and roast in oven at 350°F for 15 minutes or until tender and lightly brown around the edges. Check the vegetables often, they will brown very quickly. Remove and keep warm.
4. Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer until water runs clear, not cloudy. Combine quinoa and 1/2 cup water in a small pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and simmer until water is completely absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. When done, quinoa will be soft and a white ring will pop out of the kernel. The white ring will appear only when it is fully cooked. Fluff with a fork. Set aside. A rice cooker may be used with the same quantity of quinoa and water.
5. In a large bowl, combine squash, black beans, quinoa, and oregano.
6. Mix in applesauce, salt, and optional fresh lime juice.
7. Add onions, jalapeno peppers, and red peppers. Mix well.
8. Pour mixture into an 8 x 8-in. nonstick baking pan. Press gently to pack. Sprinkle granola evenly over the top of mixture. Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F. Granola should be lightly browned. Serve hot.
For more recipes or information, please visit teamnutrition.usa.gov
Calories: 97; Total Fat: 2g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 20g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 2g; Sodium: 115mg;