1. Heat olive oil in large saucepan and cook onion and jalapeño pepper until soft, 2-3 min. Add potatoes, huitlacoche and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.
2. Let soup rest for 5 min. Carefully blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
3. Croutons: Prepare croutons by cutting cheese into 1/2-in. squares. Dip in flour, then in eggs and then in bread crumbs. Fry cheese in olive oil until golden brown, about 30-45 seconds.
4. Reheat soup if necessary and serve garnished with cheese croutons.
* Recipe courtesy of Julian Medina, Executive Chef, Zocala, New York City.