1. Into a trifle bowl, or medium glass bowl, put 2 1/2 cups cinnamon roll cubes.
2. In a medium bowl, blend together the caramel sauce, rum (if using), orange zest and juice.
3. Drizzle the cinnamon roll cubes with 1/3 of the caramel sauce. Top with 1/3 of the pears and 1 cup vanilla pudding. Continue to layer in the same manner until you have used all the cubes, sauce, pears and pudding.
4. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
5. Spoon the whipped cream over the top of the trifle, or put it in a pastry bag with a large star tip and pipe it onto the trifle. Sprinkle with almonds and serve.