1. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda.
2. In a wide mouth quart jar, layer ingredients in order listed. Press after each layer before adding next ingredient.
3. Prepare the label instructions (see below).
Tips for Packing Mix Jars
* Use dry measuring cups and measure accurately.
* Do not assume a pasta sauce or mayonnaise jar is a quart.
* Blend the flour, baking powder, soda and salt with a wire whisk.
* Pack layers tightly in the order they are listed so the ingredients will fit and won't get mixed up.
* Keep layers separate, with a circle of wax paper if desired.
* If baking cocoa is in the middle, wipe down the inside of the jar with paper towel to prevent streaking.
* Place lid on to pack tightly the last layer.
* Lay fabric ring over lid and screw on the ring portion of the lid.
* Attach ingredient list and directions with tape or punch a hole and tie it on with yarn or ribbon.
* You will need to prepare a label with the following information in whatever format you wish.
Chocolate Cherry Cookies (Makes
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Empty jar of cookie mix into a large mixing bowl. Thoroughly blend the mix ingredients.
3. Add: 3/4 c. butter or margarine, softened, 1 large egg, slightly beaten,
1 tsp. vanilla. Mix until completely blended--it will be a very stiff mix and may require hand mixing.
4. Grease or line baking sheets with parchment paper. Shape dough into balls the size of walnuts. Place 2-in. apart on baking sheets.
5. Bake 12-15 min. Cool 5 min. on a baking sheet. Remove to racks to finish cooling.
Recipe ingredients: Dried cherries, enriched wheat flour, chocolate chips, butter, granulated and brown sugars, whole egg, cocoa, baking powder, vanilla extract, and baking soda