1. Lightly shape ground beef into four 1/2-in. thick patties.
2. Place patties in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Place onion and bell pepper around patties. Grill patties, uncovered, 11-13 min. to medium (160°F) done, until not pink in center and juices show no pink color, turning occasionally. Grill vegetables 13-16 min. or until crisp-tender, turning occasionally. Season burgers and vegetables with salt and pepper. Cut pepper into strips.
3. Spread cheese on roll tops and bottoms. Serve burgers in rolls with onion and pepper.
* To Broil: Place patties on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 3 to 4-in. from heat. Place onion and bell pepper around patties. Broil patties 10-12 min. to medium (160°F) done, until not pink in center and juices show no pink color, turning once. Broil vegetables until crisp-tender, turning as needed.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff